Neon signs have been a popular choice for businesses and individuals for decades due to their unique visual appeal and ability to grab attention. However, installing and maintaining neon signs can be a daunting task. Lets provide you with tips for installing and maintaining neon signs for maximum impact and longevity.
Understanding Neon Signs
Before we dive into the tips, it’s important to understand how neon signs work. Neon signs are made up of glass tubes that are filled with gas, typically neon gas. When electric current ionizes the gas in the tube, it emits light. The color of the light emitted depends on the type of gas used inside the tube.
Tips for Installing Neon Signs
- Hire a Professional: It’s always a good idea to hire a professional to install your neon sign. This is because neon signs require special equipment and expertise to install safely and correctly. A professional neon sign installer ensures secure installation and compliance with local regulations.
- Choose the Right Location: The location of your neon sign is crucial to its impact and longevity. You want to choose a location that is visible from a distance and that won’t be obstructed by trees or other obstacles. It’s also important to consider the weather in your area when choosing a location. Neon signs are sensitive to extreme temperatures and moisture, so you want to avoid placing them in areas that are exposed to direct sunlight or rain.
- Use a Secure Mounting Method: Neon signs are heavy, so it’s important to use a secure mounting method to ensure that your sign stays in place. Your installer will be able to recommend the best mounting method based on the location and size of your sign.
- Ensure Proper Wiring: Neon signs require a specific type of wiring, so it’s important to ensure that your wiring is installed correctly. Your installer should use wiring that is rated for neon signs and that is properly grounded to prevent electrical shocks.
Tips for Maintaining Neon Signs
- Keep Your Sign Clean: Regular cleaning is essential to maintaining the appearance of your neon sign. Use a soft cloth and a gentle cleaning solution to wipe down the sign and remove any dirt or grime. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the sign.
- Check for Damage: It’s important to inspect your neon sign regularly for damage, such as cracks or broken glass. If you notice any damage, contact a professional to repair it as soon as possible.
- Protect Your Sign from the Elements: Neon signs are sensitive to moisture, so it’s important to protect them from the elements. Consider installing a protective cover or awning over your sign to shield it from rain and direct sunlight.
- Schedule Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance is crucial to ensuring the longevity of your neon sign. Schedule annual inspections with a professional neon sign installer to check for any damage or issues with your sign.
Neon signs are a great way to grab attention and make a statement. By following these tips for installing and maintaining neon signs, you can ensure that your sign has maximum impact and longevity. Remember to hire a professional for installation, choose the right location, use a secure mounting method, and ensure proper wiring. Additionally, regular cleaning, checking for damage, protecting from the elements, and scheduling regular maintenance are key to maintaining the appearance and function of your neon sign. If you’re in need of a new neon sign or maintenance for an existing sign, contact Sign Hub at https://signhub.ca/ for professional service and expertise.